Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Hammock

Dash insists on bringing whatever book we read at bedtime to sleep with him. It's all very cute, but we end up with a giant pile of bent and slept-upon books all over and under his bed. So when I happened upon this book sling idea, I knew I had to give it a shot.


I got the awesome circus fabric from Sew, Mama, Sew for $9 & I lined it with the some natural linen I got for $2/yard about two years ago and have been using for everything under the sun ever since. The double brackets were $8 at Target & I had the curtain rods in the garage, abandoned from some other unsuccessful project.


I followed Megan's tutorial almost exactly (except I couldn't be bothered to find a ruler so I didn't actually measure anything). The whole thing came together in about 20 minutes. I am deliriously happy with it.

3 comments:

Megan said...

It looks fantastic! I love, love, love the fabric you chose, and I'm so flattered that you decided to follow my tutorial. You're the second person so far who has made one (that has contacted me about it, anyway).
I like the brackets you found--I'll have to swing by my Target and check them out. I decided to try to sell these on Etsy, so I might need to buy more (hopefully. We'll see). Here's the listing:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_20&listing_id=21894640&ga_search_query=book+sling&ga_search_type=tag_title&ga_page=&min=&max=&order=

Thanks so much for your nice message and for following my tutorial. Take care!

P.S. I didn't measure either. I had to measure once I was done so I could write the tutorial for Ohdeedoh. I'm not really the measuring type.

Megan said...

Oops. This link might be better:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21894640

cara said...

i love your book sling! i've made a few for my kids, but i just love this fabric :) also, i had to comment, because dash was the name for my 4th baby if she was a boy! (we didn't know until she was born). still love the name :)